Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Looking for new facts

1863 - American Civil War: Battle of Chattanooga begins - Union forces led by General Ulysses S. Grant reinforce troops at Chattanooga, Tennessee and counter-attack Confederate troops.
1867 - The Manchester Martyrs were hanged in Manchester, England for rescuing two Irish men from jail.
1869 - In Dumbarton, Scotland, the clipper Cutty Sark is launched - one of the last clippers ever to be built, and the only one still surviving to this day.

Saratoga Summer: 1863 takes place during the Civil War. The Conscription Draft Act riots play an important part in the book and the information is historically accurate. I merely dragged my characters through how New York City was in 1863, down to one of the first elevators and the burning of a black orphanage. I also take my characters further north, just in time for the first legalized racing in that city--and during the War.

Since I'm working on the sequel now, I've started doing some of the necessary research. I do know that there was a large fire in Saratoga that year--and some racing. I already have some idea of how I'm going to play those things.

At the same time, I'm researching later years because, at least, two more sequels are coming. I just don't know the time frames but I gave myself some facts to look at for the later books. Doing sequels are hard unless you do one after another--something I haven't done, but I'm learning.

No comments: