Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Attacking another chapter

Since I revised yesterday's Chapter One beginning, I decided I needed to go on. I began Chapter Three and can't seem to get a handle on it. I want the scene to be between a father and son--as in Chapter One--although with a different father and son. I need to show the contrast between the two families.

Maybe what I need to do is list the differences in the two families--the one in Ireland and the one in New York City. Of course, the different locales might add to or detract from the normal differences between any father and son. It's hard growing up today, but I'm sure it was just as hard in the 19th Century. In that century, fathers expected more of their sons--harder work to help support th entire family, perhaps less education. Boys in 1865 were expected to be men, but still had the same emotions of boys today. They were just better able to conceal what was not considered nice then. 'Tis a puzzle.

But the main thing is--I am writing.

No comments: